PDA

View Full Version : What type of Merc do you use for most builds?

safetypro
01-08-2008, 06:45 PM
I've always been a fan of Act 2 Desert Mercenaries. They provide auras that are often useful to your build. Obviously, the type of merc you hire will depend on your build however, I am curious as to which type of merc other players choose most often and why.

Recently, I've found Act 2 Prayer Merc's very helpful especially for caster builds that have their merc using an Insight polearm for the Meditation aura. The effect is that life regen doubles in rate when Meditation is active.

For most melee builds I expect Might will be the choice however, I just read through a particular melee build guide where the author suggested Holy Freeze.

Maybe the answers here will suprise a few people, then again maybe not.:p

saracen85
01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
so far, i've tried most of the act 2 mercs except the thorns version. all i can say is that the BA merc on my sin dies quite easily compared to the others.
my future holy shock/freeze zealot will try the act 1 scouts to check out whether they're more durable. the -integer defense on a high level inner sight sure looks tasty =)

N V
01-08-2008, 08:27 PM
im mostly using HF mercs, but thats because most of the time i wont bother with mercs on melee builds since i cant tele to get them out of danger, and thus they tend to die too quickly.

but an act3 merc with lawbringer is excellent for running chaos because of its aura.

a1 merc with faith can be used for a bowzon using winforce and a5 mercs.... guess its only for style points :p

safetypro
01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
im mostly using HF mercs, but thats because most of the time i wont bother with mercs on melee builds since i cant tele to get them out of danger, and thus they tend to die too quickly.

but an act3 merc with lawbringer is excellent for running chaos because of its aura.

a1 merc with faith can be used for a bowzon using winforce and a5 mercs.... guess its only for style points :p

I agree, I keep looking for a reason to try an act 5 merc, just haven't found one yet.:D

Taurean
01-08-2008, 09:02 PM
I do as you, i use act 2 Normal Combat merc for Prayer\Meditation (Insight) .. The regen of life and especially mana is crazy O_o I use these mainly on my Frost Maiden and Orb\ES sorc, my ES sorc especially benefit from it, because she need mana to survive. Unless my merc dies while i tele down WS keep, or unless there are 3 or more Glooms firing simultanously, i can get away from danger without trouble..
I can fire around 30 FA arrows before emptying the Blue orb with Frost Maiden ..

Before all these, and with my Javazon, i use(d) Act 1 merc with Harmony. Makes you run 36% faster, and it helps greatly when you don`t have a char with tele.
My java also has a Harmony bow on switch that i use when i`m gonna run far .. or away from danger.

I`ve had an idea for some time: How about a Crescent Moon runeword on a Act 5 merc? It has around 7% CTC Static field .. make it in a Phase Blade and it will trigger quite often, right =D ?

Onilance
01-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Which is the act 3 merc, that using cold?

@3
01-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Overall I would say I use the HF merc the most but it really depends on the build

N V
01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
im guessing cold merc for some crowd control along with the aura. at least thats what i would do.

01-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Act2 Nm Defensive /w Insight.

I only play caster pretty much, so.. :P

Making a Wolf though, so I'll be using Act2 Nm Offensive (For Might? or is it Combat? -.-) /w Pride probably.

safetypro
01-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Just so that everyone is aware, this is a multiple choice poll. You can choose more than one. I actually selected both might and prayer on my vote.

I must say I am suprised by the number of Holy Freeze votes. I might have considered Holy Freeze for a caster build except for my reason stated before. I've always used Might on melee builds. I can understand that slowing enemies would be beneficial however, Might adds damage to both you and your merc/summons. Interesting. Maybe there will be something to learn from this thread.;)

MadMardegan
01-08-2008, 10:42 PM
For my hammerdin atm I have an Act II Holy Freeze merc with an Insight...works perfectly :D

Landau14
01-09-2008, 01:16 AM
really? what lvl is he? because I always thought hdins are the most merc-free chars..

and that's a wierd thread. every build has its own best merc. what does it matter which one is most commanly used? However I would say A3 merc is the least one..anybody really uses it?

JohnnyElectric
01-09-2008, 01:30 AM
I'm holy shock zealer, I used an act 2 freeze merc forever and decided to try an act 5 barb merc.Haven't looked back(but maybe cause he's equipped to the gills lol.)

Peace guys
Johnny

N V
01-09-2008, 08:00 AM
really? what lvl is he? because I always thought hdins are the most merc-free chars..

and that's a wierd thread. every build has its own best merc. what does it matter which one is most commanly used? However I would say A3 merc is the least one..anybody really uses it?

hdins use a3 mercs. especially for chaos running. get lawbringer on it, and it will knockback most enemies in the CS.

I'm holy shock zealer, I used an act 2 freeze merc forever and decided to try an act 5 barb merc.Haven't looked back(but maybe cause he's equipped to the gills lol.)

Peace guys
Johnny

care to elaborate on the equipment? the only EVER time i used an a5 merc was on SP when i just started and i played as a barb myself. i thought it would be awesome with 2x double wielding barbs slashing their way through hoards of minions. have to say i was disappointed.

safetypro
01-09-2008, 01:08 PM
For my hammerdin atm I have an Act II Holy Freeze merc with an Insight...works perfectly
This is what I used last ladder on my Hammerdin's Merc, this ladder I decided to try the Prayer Merc and have been very pleased with the results.

I acknowledged that every build has it's own best merc however, it is interesting to find out the current trends and try new and interesting ideas. Last ladder, many were trying the dual Dream "Glitched" act 3 merc. This ladder, there is a trend towards using act 1 merc's with High Damage Faith elite bows. The more I play, the more I learn. I always try and keep an open mind to new and interesting ideas.

Now that sounds interesting. What gear is your act 5 merc using? I'd really like to try that.

cthulhu dawn127
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I always use act 2 holy freeze. I use it on my hammerdin and my light sorc. For my hammerdin i use it cuz it can hold insight which is very helpful when i teleport and my lightning sorc, I don't even really know why i use it but he works just fine.

DK_MelMan
01-09-2008, 07:43 PM
The Act 2 merc with Might Aura is the one I almost always use. With the right gear, and Fanaticism or Concentration aura from a Pala, and the Merc dmg will be more than 10K! BANG... Just love to se him work! :) The reason that I never hire a Holy Freeze aura merc is because I usually use Redemption on my Paladins, and if all the enemies are frozen, they poof when they're killed, and I can't redeem them!

Sophist
01-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Holy freeze always :) I would consider using a defiance merc if I had a build that would a) benefit from the defense and b) not suffer from a loss of infinity/insight and I could throw a doom on it to get holy freeze anyway.
Holy freeze is amazing.

horse
01-19-2008, 06:15 PM
I like the nightmare act 2 offense holy freeze mercenary. He pairs well with my paladin who uses vengeance and holy shock.

Riddleboxx
01-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Act 2 Holy Freeze.

Gear

Eth Andys
Eth Stone
Eth Insight CV

Nosferatu
01-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Guys...what kinda Merc should I get on my ele druid?

@3
01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Guys...what kinda Merc should I get on my ele druid?

ActII NM Defensive Holy Freeze merc

Nosferatu
01-19-2008, 09:59 PM
ActII NM Defensive Holy Freeze merc

Kay..

kiba
01-20-2008, 05:17 AM
i use the HF act 2 merc with insight most of the time.

but when im not using that.. or if im doing chaos runs on my chaos Hdin i use a barb with azurewrath.

JooseMan
01-20-2008, 05:22 AM
What do most people use for a Elem Druid (hurricane/tornado)? I didn't know if ppl would go with the Act2 defensive since the Druid is already handing out alot of cold dmg minus the freeze... I started with it but I haven't revived him in a while...

I'm thinking of trying a Act1 merc... I got a Faith, Ice, Windy or Botdcrusader I could let her try...

Thoughts?

Joose out!

saracen85
01-20-2008, 05:35 AM
a HF merc is great for the slow, not so much for the cold damage.. nice when coupled with tornado. easier targeting imo =)

Azwype
01-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I use Act 2 Defensive merc with my ele druid. I like having the extra defense (Defiance) especially when teleing into unknown areas.

safetypro
01-21-2008, 08:10 PM
What do most people use for a Elem Druid (hurricane/tornado)? I didn't know if ppl would go with the Act2 defensive since the Druid is already handing out alot of cold dmg minus the freeze... I started with it but I haven't revived him in a while...

I'm thinking of trying a Act1 merc... I got a Faith, Ice, Windy or Botdcrusader I could let her try...

Thoughts?

Joose out!

I'm thinking the Prayer merc with Insight would work here nicely. Remember that Insight will double the life regeneration effect of the prayer merc.

N V
01-21-2008, 09:30 PM
im always fond of the HF merc though. slowing cold immunes ftw :D

makes your life a lot easier ;)

mreid13
04-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I like the act 1 cold arrow mercs. They slow the enemy and will usually keep their distance as well so they don't die often on me.

Rotta
04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't rly use mercs, I play classic.
And on lod they just cause trouble.

Gore Deity
04-04-2009, 07:07 AM
well mine has some good uniques that make a decent gear combo but still dies once in a while like every other bot :D