PDA

View Full Version : Mercs

jdrawmer
02-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi All,

As i'm new to the forums and in fact, the diablo community (have only ever played single player and never really used the internet to learn more about the game), what are peoples opinions on mercs? Is there a definitive 'yes' or 'no' to using them? When I first played a few years back I didn't bother with them because my opinion was that they just take the experience that you could be getting yourself, but now i'm thinking they might be more useful than I gave them credit for!

Omnicide
02-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Mercs don't take experience away...

Merc info can be found on Arreat Summit.

jdrawmer
02-21-2011, 07:17 AM
So if I just stood there and the merc killed everyone, I'd still get the same experience as if I'd killed them? And if I kill them the merc gets the exp too?

Bajec210
02-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I always thought that merc is like a player in party. Even if he kills monsters and you just watch you'll get xp. I dont know if other players get xp too or just the player that have that merc.

l3ata
02-21-2011, 10:27 AM
mercs are always needed act 2 nightmare defensive merc is my fav i got infinity rune word for weapon eth bugged fortitude for armor and a eth vamp gaze for a helm and my lite sorc just destroys everything on pvm way faster then any other char i have ever used

Skullcaptain
02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Your merc will kill, and tank for you. And be sure to get one such as Act 2 for his aura bonus, or Act 5 for his tanking.

Usually people will take Nightmare Act 2 defensive merc for his Holy Freeze aura.

Your merc will not steal exp away from you.

pingu
02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Definitive yes: they can tank, add damage, add MF, distract enemies, deal with Immunes, don't cost you exp and don't make the monsters get stronger (like extra players would)

kenpogeorge
02-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Mercs are amazing. The possibilities with all the runewords/aura combinations can be dizzying, and can make mercs approach the strength of well-equipped human characters. Act 2 one are the most popular, for the auras, although some people use act 5 ones for tanking, and act 1 mercs with a Faith bow for that specific aura.

Taurean
02-22-2011, 12:16 AM
I do most definitely get a decent merc as soon as possible - but in hell mode, you do need some good gear to
1) Have them to do any damage at all
2) Make them stay alive for more than 3 seconds against a pack of normal monsters

Yeah, the act 2 merc is deffo the most used one. When he strikes, he hits twice, which means you can always in a way double his damage in the merc window.

BigAJD54
02-22-2011, 01:04 AM
I would say yes get a merc cause they are a real lifesaver. Even though I try to make my builds so that they don't need to rely on a merc they are still very useful and can help your character significantly.

thebutcher
02-22-2011, 02:19 AM
thanks guys, i remember way back in 1.07 mercs did steal xp and i just assumed it was best to kill them as soon as possible. feel dumb now :(

jdrawmer
02-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Yeah thats what I thought butcher at first.

Ok think I'll go act 2 merc. I'm a barb so might make more sense.

Thanks for the help everyone.

kenpogeorge
02-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Make sure to get the right type of merc, quick research will tell you what auras come with each merc.

Illustrious
02-23-2011, 05:08 AM
Yeah thats what I thought butcher at first.

Ok think I'll go act 2 merc. I'm a barb so might make more sense.

Thanks for the help everyone.
If you're a barb, consider an nightmare act 2 offensive merc. They have might auras which can substantially boost your damage output.

Bob the Barbarian
02-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Hi All,

As i'm new to the forums and in fact, the diablo community (have only ever played single player and never really used the internet to learn more about the game), what are peoples opinions on mercs? Is there a definitive 'yes' or 'no' to using them? When I first played a few years back I didn't bother with them because my opinion was that they just take the experience that you could be getting yourself, but now i'm thinking they might be more useful than I gave them credit for!

Hi. And welcome to the forum.

Since you've only played single player, you will have a real treat in store for you on battlenet and playing the game with others. I find it a great deal of fun to hunt the bad guy in parties and enjoy some of the people I meet.

On mercs. They are a definate plus. They take nothing away from you and give you added experience (when they kill something) and specialized auras (when properly equiped)

Most players I've seen use the act 2 nightmare mercenary equiped with a polearm. The most popular is an insight (for mana regeneration), although several other polearms are also used. People generally select a defensive merc for the holy freeze aura they automatically provide. I've also found that a norm level, act 2, def aura merc is handy for the health regeneration capability it provides. So take your pick.

Mercenaries from other parts of the game are also used but are not as common or flexible as the one from Act 2. Be sure that no matter which one you choose, though, to equip them with good armor, helm and weapons for them to do you any good. I like to outfit my act 2 merc with an eth fortitude armor, an eth delirium helm, and either an eth insight or breath of the dying polearm (depending on the needs of the character they support). Those items can be costly, but you can use regular items you find until you can afford them later in the game.

Two nice things about mercs that you should know. First, the storm casters (act 4 and 5) and other monsters that steal mana away from you so quickly will not affect the merc's ability to cast their spells. Their mana is "untouchable". Second, etheral items are preferred for the mercs because they generally give more defense or cause greater damage. However they cannot be repaired (if you use them yourself **). When used on a mercenary, however, the etheral item does not take damage and will never break.

** there are some etheral items which repair themselves or are indestructible and can be successfully used on your main character. Also, if you have a good etheral rare or unique item and want to use it yourself, you can socket it with Larzuk (act 5) and insert a zod rune to make it indestructible.